ENGINEERING BIOMEDICAL STUDENTS ASOCIATION (EBSA)
The Engineering Biomedical Students Association [EBSA] was inugurated on 24 th July, 2003.The foundation was duly performed in the conference hall of SCET with Dr.V.J.Paul, presiding over the meeting. The motto of EBSA “To the zenith with determination” was upheld by the association by conducting seminars, industrial visits, hospital visits and exhibitions, more encompassed for the propaganda of EBSA.
Objectives of EBSA
- Creating sufficient awareness about BME field among health care professionals and public.
- Inviting Guest lecturers of eminent BME, industrialists, academicians, management personalities to motivate and guide our members.
- Organizing State level & National level Symposiums.
- Collaboration with industries & research wings that can give a whole new dimension and professionalism.
- Arranging Science &Technology exhibition with industries &inter college participants.
- Encouraging and guiding the students for their higher studies, competitive exams & conducting career guidance programs
- Publication of BM magazine, news letter, periodicals &journals.
- Encouraging technical group activities, conducting mini-project competitions, offering placement assistantship to its members.
MEDCON – The Annual Event Organized by EBSA
- NSS college of engineering, Palakkad conducted a paper presentation contest- “I control ’05 ” on 10th and 12th October 2003 where EBSA members Mr Bipin Raju & Mr Naseeb Nizamuddin presented a technical paper on “Latest Trends in Biomedical Instrumentation”.
- On 22nd April 2004,Dr.R Maharajan, consultant, Nuclear Physics, WestFort Hi-Tech Hospital, delivered a pragmatic speech on the technical know-how of various imaging procedures carried out using radioactive elements.
- EBSA members underwent a software training programe on MATLAB held on 23rd and 24th April 2004.
- To begin industry-institute programming, EBSA members visited Jubilee Mission Hospital, West Fort HI-Tech Hospital and Amala Cancer Centre.
- The association conducted a study tour to Sri Chitra Hospital,Trivandrum on 24th July 2004.
- The association members were taken to visit St. James Hospital,Chalakkudy for a medical exhibition conducted there on 26th January 2005.
- The association was awarded the best association for the year 2003-’04.
- The 3rd B>tech Biomedical students was successful in making a set of 18 mini projects on various Biomedical instruments.
- On 2-7-2004 a one day seminar titled “ MED-CON 2004” was organized by the Biomedical Dept. The seminar was presided by Dr. Santhosh Kumar(Director of VIBE Institute of Bio Medical Engineering,Chennai).Students and faculty members from various colleges participated in the event.
- EBSA members Ms Rajna I K and Ms Raichel Mary Alex presented a paper on Bio-matrix in the conference.
- On September 22nd Mr Santhosh Kumar of VIBE Institute of Bio-Medical Engineering,Chennai spoke on “Pulse Oxymeter” and the one day conference conducted by Dept.
- On 3rd November 2004, M P Mathew, BE, MLT(MIT-USA) director of Medtronics, gave a talk on “Replacing and Servicing of Biomedical Equipments”.
- On 27-11-2004, the Bio-Medical Dept. organized a seminar on “LASER SPECTROSCOPY”. The event was presided by Dr. Mahata.
- The association is conducting weekly seminars on various topics related to current Bio-Medical topics.
- Dr.R.Maharajan, consultant Nuclear Physician , West Fort Hi-Tech Hospital, Thrissur delivered a guest lecture on “Fundamentals of Nuclear Imaging”.
- Two days workshop on Matlab for BME students was organized on 23/04/2004 and 24/04/2004.Forty students underwent training on this powerful simulation software and about the various tools available in MATLAB.
- The students had visited the Sree Chitra Thirunal Institute of Medical Sciences & Technology (SCTIMST) on 26 th July 2003 to analyze and study the working of the various departments, research and developments and the administrative infrastructure.
- Students are provided with lands on training by Mr.Mathews, Director of Medtronic, on the maintenance and servicing of the various equipments.
- Nearly half of the students visited the Jubilee Mission Hospital , West Fort Hi-Tech Hospital, Amala Cancer Hospital , Thrissur on 23/04/2004 and 24/04/2004 and also a medical exhibition at St.James Hospital in the month of January 2005.The students were given demonstration of the various medical equipments.
- MED LAB training program: A three day program in BASIC PROGRAMMING
- A medical symposium at State Level, ‘MEDCON `04', was conducted on 1 st &2 nd of July 2004, which included talks, from eminent personalities, paper presentations and product exhibitions.
- In collaboration with METRONICS, Cochin , Medical instrument practicalisation program was held to train the BM students in surveying and analyzing the regularly used hospital equipments.
- BIOVISION '06: An international conference on CLINICAL ENGINEERING AND HEALTH BIOTECHNOLOGY is to be held in November last week of the year 2006.
- On 29 th October 2007, Mr. J. Visweswaran, Product Specialist, Trident Techlabs PVT.LTD. conducted a one day seminar on the topic “Introduction to Virtual Instrumentation” for the 5 th and 7 th semester students of BM.
- A demo representation of Patient Monitoring System and other biomedical Equipments used in hospitals was done by Mr.Santhosh Kumar from WIPRO, GE.
- A seminar on Embedded Systems was done by the ACCEL Academy
- Mr. Anil, Researcher in Biomedical (Austrailia) provided a seminar based on Bomedical Technologies.
- EBSA is encourages the S3 BM came up in the maiden year as a technical fest attracting innovative ideas within a creative blend of mind. AARDRA – '06 and PRAYANA –'07 the technical programmes conducted by S3 students already has generated tremendous inspiration
- A seminar on “Soft Computing and Neural Network” by Dr, Indu D. Hemathia, Karunya University was conducted on 18th August 2009.
- A seminar on “Future Trends in Bioinformatics and Biomedical Imaging” was conducted on 10th July 2009 by Sai Bioscience,Coimbatore.
- A seminar and demonstration on “Signal Processing In Biomedical Application With Respect To ECG ” was arranged on 22nd August 2009 by Innmad systems,Kochi.
- A talk on “Dimensions of Biomedical Engineering” by Ms.Vidhi Mariam of GE Health care Systems,Banglore was conducted Oct 3rd 2009.
- A seminar on “Laser Application In Medicine” by Dr.Varghese John,Jubilee Medical College,Thrissur was conducted on 15th Oct 2009
- A seminar on “Foot Pressure Measurement On Gait Analysis” by Mr.Jacob Thomas, Principal,IHRD Engineering College,Kallooppara was conducted on 10th December.
- A seminar was conducted by Mr. Gilson Thomas, HOD of CS, MES College , Kuttipuram about “Digital Image Processing ” on 28th January, 2010.
- A talk was conducted on “Signal Processing ” by Dr. Sreenivasa Chamarthy, N R Biomedical Engineers, Hyderabad on 16th July 2010.
- A seminar was organized on Cyclotron by Mr.Santhosh Babu,GE Medical System on 4th December 2010.
- Hospital training arranged to final year students from various hospital during 20th to 24th December 2010.
- A talk was organized on “Expectationof Industry fromAcademics” by Mr.Ajish Zechariah, DRDO, Banglore on January 2011.
- A talk was arranged by Mr.Santhosh Babu, GE, Bangalore on “Cyclotron Technology” on February 2011.
- An orientation visit in opportunities in U.K was done by Dundee University in March 2011.
- A two day workshop was on “ARM Processor” on 11th and 12th April 2011 .
- A live demonstration of the installation of Positron Emission Tomographic Machine at Amala Medical College was arranged by Mr. Santhosh, Territory Manager, GE , Banglore on 23rd November2011
- Final year student’s project won the All Women Project in TechTop-2011. The prize worth is rupees 25000/-
- Mr. Viswanathan Nambiar (BPL Health care), visited on March2012 to BME department, He has interacted with students about projects and also given some practical tips on entrepreneurship and startups.
- Dept conducted a detailed study on the biomedical scenario in hospitals in and around Thrissur and based on that, Submitted a detailed memorandum to Govt. of Kerala and Conducted public debate on this relevant issue.
- Alumni staff member Mr. Nobu Karippai has interacted with students, sharing his experience and gave information on higher studies openings of BME in Germany
- Final year students project won the second prize rupees 60,000/- in Malayala Manorama Yuva Master Mind Competition 2012
- Three final year projects received project grant from Malayala Manorama Yuva Master Mind Competition each rupees10000/-
- Students project won the First Prize worth Rs.5000/- in NATCON (2nd National Technological Congress) by CERD, Govt.Kerala at GEC Thrissur.
- Students project won the First Prize worth Rs.5000/- in TECHNOVATOR Project Completion at TKM Engineering College , Kollam.
- Two projects selected for final round in Sushrutha Innovation Award at Gujarat.
- Three of final year project received project grant from Kerala State Council for Science Technology & Environment each rupees 10,000/-
- Sixth semester project received project grant rupees 25,000/- from Institution of Engineers India(IEI)
- Sixth semester project received project grant rupees 10,000/- from Institution of Engineers India(IEI)
- Three final year project selected to final round in Jed-i Project Challenge at IISc, Banglore on June 15 , 2012
- Five Final Year projects were shortlisted for “Budding Innovators Award “ of Govt. of India by the The Award Committee of NATIONAL RESEARCH DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION (NRDC), Govt. of India
A two day State level conference in ‘RECENT DEVELOPMENTS IN MEDICAL EQUIPMENTS'.
A two day South Indian level technical conference for students a symposium on the topic: ‘SOPHISTICTION IN DIAGNOSTIC AND SURGICAL EQUIPMENTS' is to be held on March 25 th and 26 th of March 2006.
Conducted on the 23 rd , 24 th and 25 th of March 2007, a national level event focused on “Innovations in Biomedival Engineering”.
MEDCON' 08–symposium on ‘ Bio Medicine in Cyber age ' which followed the successful path of previous ventures was conducted on 2 nd May 2008.Workshop on ‘ROBOTICS' and TECXELLENCE - a competition to exhibit the projects were the main highlights of the program.
Transactions of Medcon'08
-An omnibus of project work done by 2004 - 2008 batch students of EBSA were released on 27 th June 2008.
Prof. Abraham Chandy
from Karunya University came over here and addressed the students of 5 th semester and 7 th semester of Biomedical engineering on the arena of image processing, on 16 th August 2008.
from Karunya University on 18 th August 2008 delivered a talk on Soft Computing and Neural Networks, which proved to be a fresh catch of knowledge for the students.
The team comprising of Abhilash T.A, Rakesh Das, Albert, Adeep Moidu & Mahesh Kurup
bagged the 3rd position
in the esteemed ‘ Tech-Top'
competition, a national level stage that recognises the socially relevant project done by young engineers.
Greenhorns of EBSA were given a warm welcome by the senior members and faculties of EBSA on 19th August 2008.The program ‘Jab We Met', calmed the nerves of the freshers and turned out to be an opportunity to develop fraternity among the members.
Industry-Institution interaction, a major venture of the EBSA was started with edifying session handled by Mr.Cijo
, CT application specialist from PHILIPS, Mumbai
on 30th August 2008. He shared his knowledge to the 7th semester students about various applications of CT imaging
and its software models. The session proved to be more than useful for the students.
‘ PHOENIX ' –
The Rising, was an innovative venture form EBSA to impart knowledge through a variety QUIZ show for all the students of the college. It was conducted to mark the B'day celebrations of eminent scientist, Rutherford, on 30th August 2008.
crew of EBSA bravely followed the footprints of their seniors and organized a one day technical event , KARMA
, on 14th October 2008.The program was conducted inclusive of technical competitions for the students of our college.
Three of the Projects from the present final year students have been named eligible for receiving grant
from Institution of Engineers India
, which is a remarkable achievement for the department.
, the annual flagship event of EBSA was conducted on 24th, 25th , 26th November 2008.The main focus of the programme was ‘Medical Imaging & Artificial Implants'
inaugurated the event and a total of 9 speakers from various domains addressed the students on their respective domains. The technical extravaganzas were inclusive of different interactive events for the students. Participation from outside colleges was another highlight.
Transactions of Medcon '08-'09-
an assemblage of seminars taken by present 7th semester students was released on 26th November 2008 by Dr.K.R. Dayas
,Director,C-MET Two Papers were presented outside the college by the students of EBSA
- ARUN.K.M-presented a paper on Cytotoxicity Evaluation of Silicone Rubber Based Polymer Blends for Orthotic Inner Lining Applications at VCET,ERODE
- Jisha.M.R-presented a paper on Alternate Energy Resources for PINNACLE-08 at GEC,Trissur.
MEDCON '09 conducted on the 5th, 6th and 7th of November 2009, a national level Conference focused on “Perceptions in Biomedical Engineering and Healthcare Informatics”.
MEDCON '10 - '11
Medcon ’10 conducted on the theme “Recent Trends in Medical Imaging and Biosignal Processing” was organized from 11th-13th November and was inaugurated by His Excellency Mar James Pazhayattil. Chief Guest Dr. Ramesh R. Gallgekere addressed the students
- Medcon 2012 National Conference On “Entitlement Of Healthcare : Challenges In Indian Scenario” conducted on Key Note Address (Engr. Mohandas Ramakrishnan, Chief Biomedical Consultant, HLL Life care Ltd.)
- The Debate has conducted on “MEDICAL TECHNOLOGY AND PATIENT SAFETY during Medcon’12
- Brilliance was conducted during Medcon’12 a multitudinous four level adventure for finding the “Best Professional Group” from all over Kerala.