Sahrdaya College of Engineering (SCET), Kodakara, is committed in creating an ambience for high quality Research & Development activities in every department by the faculty and students. SCET aims to provide a research environment that will promote a culture of high quality research, which is ethical, competent, safe and accountable. This policy document on Research & Development activities at SCET addresses specific aspects of conducting Research & Development activities within the college in compliance with the University regulations on Research.
The purpose of the Research Policy is to provide a research environment that will promote a culture of high quality research, which is ethical, competent, safe and accountable. The policy shall serve as an overall framework within which research activities may be carried out.
- To create an environment within the College to build a research culture and to ensure a efficient and effective support system to facilitate faculty and researchers in their research activities.
- Ensure publications in SCI, Scopus indexed/Web of Science journals with impact factor.
- To foster an environment of undertaking socially relevant research with a prospective commercialization value
- Establish Research Centres of Excellence within the college
- Encourage partnerships nationally and globally through interdisciplinary collaborations.
CUSTODIAN OF POLICY
The implementation and updating of Research Policy shall be carried out by Research and Development Council (RDC) constituted in the college with Joint Director as the Chief coordinator, followed by Coordinator, Secretary and representatives from each department as members. The Research Policy will be monitored by a high level committee, the Research Advisory Committee (RAC) to function under the Principal, Joint Director, Advisor, RDC coordinator, faculty representatives and external experts from industry and academia.
POLICY AND GUIDELINES
- Undertaking Research
- Faculty members of SCET are expected to undertake research, leading to quality publications, presentations in reputed National/International conferences, generation of Intellectual property with commercial potential and social relevance.
- SCET aims to provide a research environment that will promote a culture of high quality research, which is ethical, competent, safe and accountable.
- HOD of the concerned department, along with faculty researchers, are responsible for developing and maintaining an ethical and safe research environment within each department. Researchers must comply with relevant legislation, guidelines, policies and directives issued by Government of India and its relevant agencies with regard to ethical and safe practices in research
- Obligations of faculty
Research output will be considered as one of the criteria for faculty recruitment and promotion along with other academic responsibilities.
- Research Management
Overall management of research activities may be coordinated by RDC under direct supervision of the Joint Director. RAC and RDC shall be responsible for overall functioning of the research activities within the University.
- Research Promotion Measures
Research enjoys a prominent place in any higher education institution and SCET takes all possible measures to develop research culture among students and faculty. The activities which may be undertaken under Research Promotion Measures are listed as under.
- Constitution of the RDC at the college level to advise Principal/Management on research related matters and monitor research activities in the college.
- Setting up of specific research and development center in each department to promote, streamline and execute research activities in the department. The coordinator of the research wing in the department de facto shall be the department representative in the RDC.
- The research wing in each department shall undertake industry/government funded projects without, affecting in any way the regular academic activities of each faculty member in the college.
- Faculty and student research work in the college shall be published as SCET Technical Transactions which shall be numbered and cataloged by the Central Library.
- Upload all the student research reports in the college website with special emphasis on outcome and social impact of research. Each department shall collect one hard copy of Project report and the same shall be submitted to the college library.
- Research Collaborations, Grants and Funding
- College considers collaborations as an ideal tool for furthering research for the mutual benefit of the parties involved. Collaborations facilitating the sharing of resources, human and infrastructure are promoted by the college, provided it benefits the research endeavors of the college.
- Collaborations with universities abroad and premier institutions in India may be given special attention. However, due care has to be taken so that such collaborations never result in any defame to the college and is in tune with relevant university statutes and regulations.
- The collaborating departments shall get prior sanction from the Principal/Manager and RDC for any type of collaboration with third parties.
- Copy of external grant applications has to be provided to RDC as soon as the applications are submitted.
7. Research Facilities
Every year, an internal review of existing facilities has to be made by HOD at the behest of RDC. The recommendations may be submitted to the management for appropriate actions preferably at the end of each academic year.
8. Conduct of Research by Students and Faculty
- Research scholars that may include individual or team of students and/or faculties, conducting research must comply with the provisions contained in the Research Policy of the College and the University.
- The supervisor and the research scholar should respect the human dignity and rights of all stakeholders, promoting shared ethical values and fulfill all academic/research activities according to such values
- Research Supervisor of a research student shall be responsible for providing guidance to students on all matters of research practice, and ensuring that students are informed of the relevant University policies and procedures that affect the conduct of student research.
- Where a student is conducting research as part of a research team, the use and storage of research data, publication of research findings, confidentiality, or commercialization or other agreements will apply to all members of the research group.
- A supervisor shall be entitled to have access to research data and other relevant information about the research of a student for the purposes of undertaking normal supervisory responsibilities and ensuring compliance with this Policy and other University policies.
- Students are required to obtain prior approval from the college authorities to enter into any contractual agreement for commercial research or any technology transfer. Maintain confidentiality in respect of research data, methodology, and findings.
9. Research Publications and Authorship
- The researchers have the freedom to publish their results in any of the journals which appears in Thomson Reuters Citation Report list. Publications in on-line journals, which attract publication charges are not allowed.
- The researcher who holds the overall responsibility for the research should authorize the publication of results. Authorization should cover integrity of results (no plagiarism), protection of intellectual property rights and appropriate credit for authorship for persons who are directly involved in experimentation, interpretation of data and such direct involvement in work, for publication.
- Any one listed as an author in a paper must accept personal responsibility for ensuring the familiarity with the contents of the paper, and that they can identify their contributions to it. The practice of granting honorary authorship is against the guidance referenced above. Other contributions to the work like permission to publish, financial support should be suitably acknowledged.
- Any publication to journals other than RDC publication or in Conference proceedings should be intimated to RDC.
10. Handling of research misconduct and fraud
In the event of misconduct, a disciplinary committee, on instruction of Principal, shall be formed in order to carry out inquiry when academic dishonesty is reported against an individual/group. Suitable disciplinary action may be initiated, if found guilty, against such individual/group.
11. Conflict of Interest
Researchers must disclose to the RDC/HOD any affiliation with or financial involvement in any organization or entity with a direct interest in the subject matter or materials of the researcher.
12. Policy Review
The Principal shall initiate review of this Policy as and when needed in association with RDC.